Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Child of the King

"He owns the cattle on a thousand hills"... it's been running through my mind all night and the thought brings me joy... this song isn't just talking about wealth, but comfort. Comfort in the knowledge that, as a child of the King of kings, we are cared for... provided for... and have no need of want.

It has been said that "God helps those who help themselves" well, that's not Biblical at all but it is true that He blesses those of us who love Him and are ready to receive His blessings. These blessings that are so freely talked about throughout the Bible aren't just monetary blessings... they are blessings of peace and joy. Security in knowing that we are truly loved. Just this week, I was listening to another sermon on the beatitudes and was reminded that "Blessed" means happy but not the emotional happy that we think of - rather a deeply abiding joy.

To me, this joy comes in so many forms... the beauty of God's handiwork, the wonderment of His miracles, the encouragement of a friend or loved one, or in times like tonight, a song that won't leave my mind... a song that reminds me that I am His. That I'm provided for and loved as a child of the King and that He will never leave me nor forsake me.

"He owns the cattle on a thousand hills, the wealth in every mine,
He owns the rivers and the rocks and rills, the sun and stars that shine,
Wonderful riches more than tongue can tell, He is my Father so they're mine as well.
He owns the cattle on a thousand hills, I know that He will care for me."
Words and Melody by John W. Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment