Tuesday, April 3, 2012

This is my Father's World

Last night, I was continuing my reading of "7" by Jen Hatmaker, and she mentioned a quote from Wendell Berry about how "God made the world because he wanted it made. He deemed it good and He loves it". Then, a little bit later, she compared the consumptionism (or lack of caring about the ecological effects of our everyday life) to not caring for a child's artwork. After all, they created it, they deemed it good, and they love you enough to give it to you. These thoughts immediately brought to mind the song from childhood: This is my Father's World.

This is my Father's world
And to my listening ears
All nature sings and round me rings
The music of the spheres.


While I agree, God put us on this earth as caretakers of His creation, I still think that some (not Jen, but some) take this to the extreme. Especially since some that are involved in "saving mother earth" don't ackowledge God or His creation (or they wouldn't call it "Mother Earth"). We should be recycling, gardening, avoiding litter because we are good stewards of what God has entrusted to us... not because we think we can reverse any damage that has been done to the O-zone layer.

After all, God is in control and while we may slow things down, when God's timing is right, He plans to make a new heaven and a new earth. It's not like we should try to speed things up by destroying this one but we shouldn't be delusional enough to think we can "save" it either.

I guess I'm just rambling this morning but it does bother me when government and peer pressure dictate what we should do rather than our own conscious desire to take care of and enjoy what God has entrusted. We need to slow down and enjoy the beauty around us and then give praise and glory to the One who created it for His enjoyment.

This is my Father's world
Oh, and let me never forget
That though the wrong seems oft' so strong
God is the ruler yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment