Saturday, March 31, 2012

Jesus take the Wheel

You know how you sometimes get a song stuck in your head? This happens to me a lot at night so that whenever I'm conscious, even if it's just for a few moments, I have parts of the song echoing in my mind... sort of like a prayer.

Well, last night, just before we went to bed, I heard the song by Carrie Underwood - "Jesus Take the Wheel." It says, "Jesus take the wheel, I can't do this on my own." So, of course, that small portion of the song echoed through my waking moments and through my dreams. And this morning, I could clearly hear the Spirit's reply, "I'm trying but you have to let go."

It's so hard to give up the throne of our lives... the throne of our emotions... the reins that steer this little vessel through the sea of humanity but that is what God requires of us.

Rom. 12:1 says, "I beseech you therefore brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service."


Beseech - to ask with urgency and passion. What is a "living sacrifice"? One who is wholely devoted to abiding (or dwelling with) God. This is descriptive of someone who not only reads the word... a passage here and there, or takes their Bible to church on Sunday and then sets it aside until the next Sunday, but someone who applies the Word of God to every moment of every day. Someone who is constantly in prayer and having a true relationship with the Lord.

If you are truly abiding with the Lord, you are ever mindful that God's Holy Spirit is present wherever you go... the silent listener to every conversation. If we were truly abiding, would we be going into the establishments we're going into? Would we be watching or looking at the things we're looking at? Would we be saying or repeating the things we are saying?

Lord, please forgive me for not letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment