Monday, May 7, 2012

Jesus Led Me All the Way

This morning's devotion was about Moses and the Israelites.  I never noticed this before, but scripture says that God did not choose to lead the Israelites on the path that was easy... Exodus 13:17 says,

"Now when Pharaoh had let the people go, God did not lead them by the way of the land of the Philistines, even though it was near; for God said, “The people might change their minds when they see war, and return to Egypt.”"


This brings to mind two different melodies, the first, a newer song by Steven Curtis Chapman (note, by newer, I'm talking relatively):  "Burn the Ships" - for those who have not heard it, it tells the story of Cortez and then relates it back to a new Christian... here are the words:

In the spring of 1519 a Spanish fleet set sail
Cortez told his sailors this mission must not fail
On the eastern shore of Mexico they landed with great dreams
But the hardships of the new world make them restless and weak
Quietly they whispered, "Let's sail back to the life we knew"
But the one who led them there was saying

CHORUS
Burn the ships, we're here to stay
There's no way we could go back
Now that we've come this far by faith
Burn the ships, we've passed the point of no return
Our life is here
So let the ships burn

In the spring of new beginnings a searching heart set sail
Looking for a new life and a love that would not fail
On the shores of grace and mercy we landed with great joy
But an enemy was waiting to steal, kill, and destroy
Quietly he whispers, "Go back to the life you know"
But the one who led us here is saying

(Chorus)

BRIDGE
Nobody said it would be easy
But the one who brought us here
Is never gonna leave us alone


Isn't that a good point to remember?  The One who is leading us will never leave us!

The other song that came to mind this morning is "All the Way My Savior Leads Me" and here are a portion of it's lyrics:

All the way my Savior leads me; 
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
Who thro's life has been my guide?
Heav'nly peace, divinest comfort, 
Here by faith in him to dwell!
For I know whate'er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well.

 This old hymn goes on to remind us that Jesus Cheers us, gives us grace in every trial, feeds us with His Word and quinches my thirst with gushing springs of Joy.  By the fullness of His love, God provides perfect rest.  The song ends saying, "This my song thro' endless ages:  Jesus led me all the way."  That is my prayer today.... I know God is leading, but am I following or are there "ships" in my life that I must burn so that they cannot distract me from the blessings God has in store?

No comments:

Post a Comment