Monday, May 14, 2012

My Anchor Holds

This weekend has had a theme running through it... I keep hearing "anchor"...  It all started on Saturday morning when the "Our Daily Bread" devotional talked about a picture of a tiny boat caught in a storm in the midst of the ocean.  The devotional ended with this saying, "When we face desperate circumstances, we tend to look to other people for guidance and comfort. They are in the same boat, however—lost in an ocean of life’s ups and downs. Only God is outside the boat, sovereign, stable, and strong enough to calm the storms." 

Then there was a little verse about an anchor... not only reminding me that God is strong enough to calm the storms but He is my anchor in the midst of the storm and will keep me secure until the storm is over.  

So, if you know me at all, you know this brought several songs to mind, one of which was Ray Boltz' "The Anchor Holds".  The chorus says:

"The anchor holds, though the ship is battered.
The anchor holds, though the sails are torn."


Then, yesterday morning, the soloist in church started singing, "There's an anchor for my soul..." It was beautiful.

Now, this may seem a change in subject but, trust me, God brings it all around...

This weekend was so wonderful, I don't want it to end.  Yesterday was Mother's Day... traditionally, for me, a migraine day.  See, I've struggled with migraines for the past 27 years... some years are better than others and, for this reason I haven't had a major migraine (lasting more than 8 hours) for a few years now.  But my migraines are stress related so whenever there is a day that revolves around me, it becomes a point of stress and usually ends with a migraine.  I'm so happy to say that this was not the case this weekend.  

The weekend started with my wonderful husband taking me to Six Flags.  He bought be season passes so that he and I could go to the concerts there this summer.  And, when you get season passes, there is  always a coupon book that goes along with the passes but you have to go to the park to pick it up and make everything official.  So, here's the wonderful part... he took me to the park before it opened and stayed as long as I wanted to stay.  You ask, why is that so amazing???  My husband does not ride any amusement park rides... not one!  He spent the day watching me enjoy the rides and letting me have fun while he sat off to the side.  And he didn't say no... if I wanted to ride something that meant standing in line for an hour, he would either stand in line with me for a while or sit under a tree and wait... no objections, no complaints.

The kids (now all grown adults) put together a beautiful picture for me... a collection of handprints... theirs, their spouses, and all 8 grandchildren.  And our son composed the handprints, along with a wonderful/original poem, into a beautiful picture.  And, the even better part?  Since he did it himself, he will be able to add handprints throughout the years (because we know there will still be more grandchildren).  :)

Then, as if that didn't bring enough "mommy tears", our youngest daughter dedicated her blog to me and wrote the most wonderful words and then the words were seconded by our oldest daughter.  I feel so honored and this is what brings me back to the anchor for my soul.  For you see, these wonderful people in my life "get it"... they understand what is important... God and relationships... moments captured in time.  I'm so happy that we all share the same anchor and that our time together will never truly have an ending.

Does your anchor hold?  If you're not sure, ask Jesus to show you the way.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I'm just now catching up, but I didn't know you went to Six Flags for Mother's Day. I'm glad you were able to go and have an enjoyable time :)

    ReplyDelete