Saturday, May 5, 2012

Living for Jesus

I've been reading some incredible things this week and God's really been speaking to my heart even as it pertains to my view of my family.  

You see, I take great joy and pride in my family. I do realize that I am not responsible for the talents of my children and grandchildren, I did nothing that allowed them to breathe even one minute longer than they should, but I still am proud of the individuals God has created and feel honored to have them in my life.  

But, do I let that joy and pride in my family stand between me and my worship and devotion to God and His service?  Yes... I can't deny it... and for that, I'm not proud. My mother's heart would rather rock a baby than listen to a sermon... I'd rather sing and play games with my family than share the love of God with my neighbor... I'd rather watch my son play softball than sit in Bible study.  This is all wrong.  My first priority needs to be God.  NOTHING should take that priority away.

In Luke, there is someone who is called to follow Christ but wants to go "tie up loose ends at home"... have we ever wanted that?  Ever said, "just let me finish this one last thing"?  Well, what was Christ's response?  "No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."  Wow! No time to tie up loose ends, finish one more task, just "follow me"... and that is still what Christ requires... a heart full of devotion to Him.

We need to be focused and our focus needs to be on God and nothing else.

"Living for Jesus a life that is true,
Striving to please him in all that I do,
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me."

-----

"Lord, I want to be sold out for You. I want to
love You with my whole heart, soul, mind, and
strength. Give me the power to be who You want me
to be, and to walk in Your ways." - anonymous

No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God. —Luke 9:62

No comments:

Post a Comment