Saturday, March 17, 2012

Child of the King

Being a princess:  You are a child of the King of kings!  Would a princess wallow in the mire?  Would a princess run around in rags all day without make-up?  No... most of the time, when you see or think of a princess, she's always picture perfect.

In both Matthew and Mark, Jesus is recorded as saying, "love thy neighbor as thyself."  Have you ever noticed, or paid attention to the "as thyself" portion of that scripture?  The reason for this is that it's very hard to love anyone if we don't love ourselves.

Recently my husband has been obsessed with the fact that insomnia often takes me from my "beauty sleep" at night.  He keeps reminding me that my body needs 7-8 hours of sleep (even though it apparently doesn't think so).  But I know he's not doing this because of any outward appearances, he's doing this because he cares about me and wants me to be healthy.  If we love ourselves, we will do what we can to be as healthy as we can.

I heard a secret about fortune-telling once (now don't worry... I don't believe in fortune tellers)... the secret is, they look at the hands because if a person takes good care of their hands, they must "love themselves".  And this isn't talking about an unnatural love, it's just talking about, again, being healthy, feeling good, and looking your best.

Here are a few benefits of taking care of yourself:
1. You'll feel better physically and emotionally.
2. You'll be around to enjoy your husband and family longer.
3. You'll have more energy to be able to keep up with your family.
4. You'll be someone that others want to be around 

Now let me clarify that last one... I'm NOT saying that if you are sick or have a disability that people will not want to be around you.... No, I'm saying that if you are doing everything you can to take care of yourself, and be in the best health you can be, people will want to be around you.  After all, if you give up on yourself, others will too.

And, we should take care of our spiritual health and beauty as well.  As a child of the King, we represent Him wherever we go.  Are you representing your Father and yourself in a good light?

No comments:

Post a Comment