Monday, March 19, 2012

Letting Go and Letting God

Letting go and letting God:  When I started this project (putting my "marriage lessons" in order), I started by outlining my thoughts.  Tonight, I looked at this last thought (at least for now) and it's so poignant, because right this very minute, I'm so angry at my husband for throwing away a broken "treasure" that has taken up space in our basement for the past 12 years. That's right... 12 years.

So, since I know when to choose my battles and both of us have already made our point, I didn't want to say any more on the subject so I decided to read.  Lately, I've been reading "7 An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess" by Jen Hatmaker.  It's a book that my husband already went through and wanted me to read (a very good book by the way).   

Anyway, I'm currently in the middle of month 3 (sorry, you'll have to read the book to find out what that means) and Jen drew a mental picture of the church people sitting around their living room, talking about the love of Jesus, while the world is burning down outside and the destitute are asking for the basic necessities of life with their noses pressed up against the window watching us drink our coffee.

Reading that made me realize I have nothing to be angry about (ok... I still don't think it needed the trashcan, but that's beside the point).  The point is, I have a roof over my head, food in my belly, a warm bed to sleep in, enough clothes I could wear something fresh every day for two weeks without doing laundry, and enough money in the bank that I wouldn't have to worry if the car broke down and here I am fuming over a trivial item that is only valuable for sentimental reasons.

So, you can see why this outlined topic is so poignant... I had meant to talk about letting go of things we cannot change and God was planning to show me another lesson on just plain "letting go".

Alright... So, I can't stay mad at him with God on his side... Besides, that would just negate the stuff I've already talked about when I talked about bitterness and not holding a grudge.  See, I'm not perfect... I don't know it all, and God is still teaching me new lessons.

Ok... Here is the lesson I had intended to share... When we pray for our husband (or anything for that matter), we need to let go of the situation and our feelings about the matter and let God do His thing.  We need to remember that He works all things together for our good.  Remember that He has a plan for our lives and it's not a plan to harm us.  We just need to trust Him and His timing and never give up praying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment