Friday, March 30, 2012

Trust and Obey

My husband and I have been involved with and lead a "Truth Project" study series. It's by Focus on the Family and if you haven't heard of it, you should check it out. Anyway, it opened my eyes to John 8:32, "and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Most people hear that one simple verse and think... okay, I need to tell the truth and it will set me free but that's not what this verse is saying. If you read the verse in context (something you should always do anyway), starting in verse 31 and going through 36, you'll notice that Jesus is talking about Himself.

"Jesus therefore said to those Jews that had believed him, If you abide in my word, then are you truly my disciples; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. They answered Him, We are Abraham's seed, and have never yet been in bondage to any man: why do you say, you shall be made free? Jesus answered them, truly, truly, I say to you, every one that committeth sin is the bondservant of sin and the bondservant abideth not in the house for ever: the son abideth for ever. If therefore, the Son shall make you free, you shall be free indeed."

In this passage we see, not only is Jesus "the truth" but that He says, "if you abide in my word, then are you truly my disciples"... so what does that mean, abide in his word? Abide means to "continue without fading or being lost."... it means to live or dwell. So, if we dwell in His word... sort of takes you back to "keep my commandments."

"And hereby we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He that says, I know Him, and does not keep His commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him;" 1 John 2:3-4

So, are you keeping His commandments? Are you abiding in Him and in His Word? Are you free from sin and death?

When we walk with the Lord
In the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!

While we do His good will
He abides with us still,
and with all who will trust and obey.

Trust and obey
For there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus
But to trust and obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment