Monday, March 5, 2012

Love is a Choice

Recently, I was asked to pray for a friend who was struggling with her marriage... So, I wanted to take this opportunity to document some of the things I've learned through my 33 1/2 years of marriage and my 44 years of walking with the Lord and seeking His guidance.

Before I begin, let me say, my husband and I are at a good place in our marriage.  My husband is my best friend, my strongest supporter, and my loudest cheerleader.  He pampers me, protects me, and takes care of me.  We share everything together and are enjoying our grandbabies and the other blessings God has bestowed.  He is a strong Christian and has been soaking up Bible teaching like a sponge.

The scripture passage we chose for our wedding, Eccl. 4:9-12, is still our inspiration.... 9 Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. 10 For if [c]either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not [d]another to lift him up. 11 Furthermore, if two lie down together they [e]keep warm, but how can one be warm alone?12 And if [f]one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart.

God is the most important ingredient in any marriage.  So, as we walk through the following lessons together remember...pray, pray, pray.  And, when you pray, do so believing God has already answered your prayers.

I've decided to break these thoughts, lessons if you will, into bite size chunks and share them one at a time over the next few days.  Here is my first offering and my prayer is that God will help you through some of the lessons He has taught me.

Love is a choice
:  As we grow from little girls, we are ingrained with romance.  We read fairy tales where the prince comes in and saves the day and they live "... happily ever after".  But here's the reality... love is not an emotion.  Yes, there is some form of "puppy love" where your heart flutters and you feel all warm inside but at the end of the day, love is a choice.

There may come times in your relationship where you have to wake up every morning and say, "I am choosing to love this person today".  There may even come times when you pray, "God help me to love this person today - Give me your eyes and let me see this person the way you see him."

No comments:

Post a Comment